HotM: Part 2

Created: 27 January 2021, 14:54:48 EST
Last updated: 25 January 2022, 15:02:09 EST

SparkleFrostfallSparkle

Heart of the Moon

After trekking around the school you find yourself feeling more prepared for the journey ahead. You return to Vinta's office, doing your best not to get completely lost in the long halls and confusing corridors along the way. Thankfully, unlike Angea, you find you have more success at returning and arrive sooner than necessary. Upon approaching the door, you are greeted with silence and a small note stuck right in the center.

The barely legible writing scrawled across the paper reads as follows:

Meet me at
Snowstar       
          Market
       - V

Snowstar market. That's likely the place you and Angea passed by earlier on your way to the school. With the destination in mind you hurry back out the way you came and hope you still arrive on time.

Snowstar Market by Browbird
You arrive in the market and wander around for a little bit, unsure exactly where you were supposed to meet them, and then... You spot Vinta! They're standing in the distance, tapping their foot and looking about as frazzled as they were when you last saw them. You approach, ready to greet them when suddenly another person appears and speaks before you can utter a single word.

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“Vinta.”

 

Vinta doesn't jump at the sound of the deep voice behind them and turns calmly to face the new arrival.  Being particularly observant, you notice that some of their fur is standing on end.

30872132_E0QxbVABBPIrAfR.png

The professor’s intense stare of acknowledgement is all the archmage receives in the way of greeting. Vinta in turn responds with a respectful nod and a more energetic disposition than before.

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"Professor."

 

Looking Vinta over again, you notice that under one arm they hold a scrollcase, box, and several papers. In their other they are firmly grasping a large cup of coffee, likely picked up from a nearby market vendor. Their hand is trembling very slightly, though it's hard to tell whether it's from the cold of the winter evening or their nerves getting to them with their superior present. You also wonder what number cup they might be on - maybe it's just the caffeination?

Aventus remains silent and Vinta takes the hint to start giving him an update on the situation.

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"Thank you for meeting me here on such short notice. As said in my earlier message to you, I am ready to move forward with the core excursion."

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"I have decided to enlist the help of several students and experienced travelers to aid us in clearing out threats and disabiling the core's defenses.  Some will also be assigned to transporting preliminary building resources."

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"With their help I was also able to finalize my own preperations regarding our route and plan of action. I believe that this method will have as little impact on the surrounding landscape and its aura as possible. It should also be the safest path available as it circumnavigates the most deadly areas."

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"They should be arriving shortly. Once everyone is accounted for we can begin the journey."

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“This is substantial work, Vinta." 

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

:)

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“Still, I have taken note at the frequency at which you ingest brewed stimulants in that cup of yours. It is enough to cause concern."

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“Are you doing quite alright? The rings under your eyes do allude to a lack of rest. You worry me. Perhaps we should postpone." 

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

:(

 

Hardly expecting Aventus to point out their (very obviously) deteriorating health, Vinta could not hide the look of surprise on their face. It almost looks as though someone stepped on their tail. Despite their attempt to hold their composure, there is an obvious panic to their voice as they scramble to offer some kind of excuse.

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"I am completely fine, Professor! There is much to do and the deadline for this project is fast approaching. Now is as good a time as any! And besides... The thought of leaving this much work undone would be much worse for my sleep."

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"Do not worry at all - I am fully capable of handling this. Delaying it further would only serve to disappoint those who have gathered to help."

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“...I see. I must admit, I am still concerned at the prospect of allowing others to accompany and aid us in dispatching King's beasts and the puzzles that await us. Their safety is at stake."

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"My good friend, a master of expedition, Angea, has assured me that those who will be coming with us can hold their own out there. She and I also made sure to clear any students who would be attending."

 

That's right, where is Angea anyway? As Vinta and Aventus speak, others have  gradually started showing up. Many of them are heavily bundled and carrying plentiful amounts of supplies meant for the adventure. It's the perfect moment for Angea to appear, and yet... she is no where to be found.  You wonder if you should inquire about her whereabouts to Vinta, but they still seem intensely focused on their conversation with the professor.

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“The creations of the so-called King are considerably more aggressive than any regular beast. Have you informed them of the dangers posed by the frozen giants that lurk beneath the blackpines? Are they aware of the horrific orgins of such monsters. Have they been warned of the swift death that will befall any who are oversealous in their prescence." 

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"They are aware of the dangers of the forest. I am confident my route will keep us away from the largest of the beasts. The ones we will encounter can be handled by our team."

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“..." 

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“You will check again to be certain that those accompanying us are properly prepared for what lies ahead. No amount of goodwill is worth the injury or loss of life that carelessness and ignorance could spell out for them." 

 

Vinta nods, still clutching their cup of coffee which has cooled considerably by now. They had not gotten the chance to drink much of it during their conversation and sigh as they turn to check in with the rest of the group. However, before they can...

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“Vinta." 

 

SparkleVinta

Character Icon

"Y-Yes?"

 

SparkleAventus

Character Icon

“Monitor your own well being. This work is important- I am aware - but you will be unable to execute it properly if you ruin your health.." 

 

With that, Aventus seems done speaking and waits for Vinta to finish up any remaining preparations.

I'm Ready to Go!

Prompt 1 || Event Hub || Prompt 2

Comments

There are no comments yet.
Authentication required

You must log in to post a comment.

Log in